经典表述
first come,first served 先到先得
make a fruitless trip 白跑一次
one more thing 还有一件事
what you have to do now is to do sth
现在你要做的是……
情景对话
Dialogue One
have got to与have to相似,但较非正式。
A:I have got to register tomorrow.Shall I go there very early?
我明天得去注册。是不是要很早去?
B:No,it’s not on a first come,first served basis.
不,那不是先去就先注册的。
A:What do you mean by that?
什么意思?
B:You should look into the chass schedule to find the time and date of registration.Have you got one?
你可以从课程表上找到注册时间和日期。你有课程表吗?
A:Oh,I see.I can register between 2 and 4 p.m. on Monday,the 10th.
哦,我知道了。我应该在10号星期一下午的2点至4点之间注册。
B:Yes,and you had better get there early so you can be the first in line.
是的,不过你最好早点去排队。
A:Thanks a lot.Otherwise I would make a fruitless trip tomorrow.Any other advice?
多谢。否则明天我要白跑一次了。有没有其他建议呢?
B:Have you decided what subjects you will take for the first semester?
你是否决定了新学期要读的课目?
alumnus 意为男校友,复数形式为alumni。女校友用alumna,复数形式为alumnae。
A:Yes.I discussed with an alumnus of the Mathematics Department a week ago.He is very helpful.
是的,一周前我和数学系的一个校友讨论过了。他帮了很多忙。
B:That’s a good method to select subjects.One more thing,don’t forget your ID card.
那是选课的好方法。还有一件事,不要忘带你的身份证。
A:I will keep it in my mind.It’s a good fortune to have a friend like you.
我会记住的。能有你这样的朋友真是好运气。
B:Oh,you flatter me!
啊,过奖了!
Dialogue Two
A:Excuse me,Madam.Do I register here?
请问,是在这儿注册吗?
B:Yes.May I help you?
是的,需要我帮忙吗?
A:I am new here and I would like to register for the spring semester.
我是新来的,我想注册春季班。
B:Have you paid your tuition and has your course request card been signed by the Dean?
你的学费缴齐了吗?课程申请卡也交系主任签字了吗?
A:Yes,It has.
是的。
B:Good,now,what you have to do is to fill out these information cards...All your classes are still open.You’re all set.
好的。现在你要做的是把这些表填好……你的班级都还有空。好了,一切都安排好了。
Dialogue Three
A:Boy,how come there are so many people?
好家伙,怎么会有这么多人?
B:The computer system was broken this morning and they failed to repair it until half an hour ago.
今天早上计算机系统坏了,他们一个小时前才修复。
A:What a luck.
真倒霉。
B:I have something worse to tell you:one of our compulsive subjects will be taught by Professor Wood.
还有更糟的,我们的一门必修课会由伍德教授来教。
A:Do you mean the person who once flunked one third of his class?
你是说那个曾让班上三分之一的人不及格的教授吗?
B:Absolutely right!
完全正确!
A:I don’t want to registe.
我不想注册了。
B:Cheer up!Maybe things will be better than our expectation.
打起精神来!也许情况会比我们预料的要好。
1.register登记,注册,挂号
2.freshman大一新生
3.semester半学年,一学期
4.ID身分,身份(identification,identity)
5.tuition学费
6.dean(大学的)教务长,学院院长
7.flunk使不及格