face面,面部表情,表面,正面,面子
Useful Phrases实用短语
①blue in the face(气得)脸色发青
When we talked of her, he was blue in the face.
当我们谈到她时,他脸色气得发青。
②face up to勇敢地面对
You should learn to face up to this situation.
你应该学会勇敢地面对这种处境。
③look sb. in the face直视某人
He never dares to look the girl in the face when he talks with her.
和那个女孩谈话时他从不敢直视她。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:When I had a date with my boyfriend for the first time he always looked me in the face without saying anything which made me a little shy.
我和我男朋友约会时他总是一言不发地直视着我这让我觉得很害羞。
B:I heard if a boy always stares at you that proved he love you.
我听说如果一个男孩总是盯着你看证明他喜欢你。
A:Really
是吗?
B:Trust me, I am quite sure that your boyfriend loves you.
相信我,我敢确信你的男朋友喜欢你。
Notes:
1. stare at sb./sth.盯着某人或某物
2. confirm [k?n'f?:m] v. 证实,证明,确认
fair合理的,恰当的,公平的,白皙的
Useful Phrases实用短语
①fair and square诚实,光明正大
No matter what we are doing, we must be fair and square.
无论我们做什么,都必须要光明正大。
②it's a fair cop这是罪有应得,抓的有理
The cruel murder was arrested by the police. It's a fair cop.
那个残忍的杀人犯被警察逮捕了,真是罪有应得。
③by fair means or foul不择手段
In order to get what he wanted,he was nearly by fair means or foul.
为了得到他想要的,他几乎不择手段。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:The man murdered his wife ten years ago and then disappeared since then. The police has wanted him for a long time.
那个男人10年前杀了他的妻子后就消失了。警察已经通缉他很久了。
B:God's mill grinds slow but sure. And tomorrow he will be executed by shooting.
天网恢恢,疏而不漏,明天他就会被枪决的。
A:It's a fair cop.
那是罪有应得。
B:I think so. Her wife can close her eyes in death in the end.
我也这么觉得。他的妻子终于可以瞑目了。
Notes:
1. mill [mil] n. 磨坊,面工厂
2. grind [graind] v,n. 磨碎,碾碎,把……磨成粉
3. execute [eksi,kjut[] v. 处决,处死
4. in the end终于,最终
fall落下,跌倒,降临,到来,变为,阵亡,降低
Useful Phrases实用短语
①fall out争吵
The couple often falls out and ingores the others'feel.
这对夫妻经常吵架并无视别人的感受。
②fall back on求助于,依靠
No person wants to help her, so she has no choice but to fall back on you.
没人想帮她,她没办法只能求助你了。
③fall behind落后
This country's economy falls behind the developed countries far away.
这个国家的经济远远落后于其他发达国家。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Since you have grown up, you shouldn't fall back on your parents when you meet some trouble. It's the time to be independent.
既然你已经长大了就不应该什么都依赖父母了。是该独立的时候了。
B:You're right. I must behave as an *****.
你说得对。我得像个成年人了。
A:I can't bear some young men still relying on their parents even when they have married.
我受不了一些年轻人甚至已经成家了还依赖父母。
B:Neither do I.
我也是。
Notes:
1. independent [indi'pend?nt] adj. 独立的,自主的,自治的
2. bear [bε?] v,n. 忍受,承受
far遥远的,久远的,远,遥远,非常,很
Useful Phrases实用短语
①as far as就……,至于,直到,远到
I'll see you off as far as the gate.
我将送你到门口。
②far from绝非,绝不
He's far from a good guy.
他绝不是个好人。
③in so far as到……的程度,在……范围内
You're in so far as a student, you can enjoy travelling cheaply on our railway.
只要你是学生,乘我们的火车便可享受优惠待遇。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Look at his clothes, I guess he's far from a rich man.
看他的衣着,我猜他不可能是个有钱人。
B:It's hard to say. You shouldn't judge a person from his appearance.
难说。你不应该以貌取人。
C:Are you kiding Do you know he's the president of this five-star grand hotel
你开玩笑吧?你知道吗?他可是这家五星级大酒店的董事长。
A:This time I believe in that words totally.
这次我完全相信那句话了(不要以貌取人)。
fat
肥胖的,油腻的,丰满的,厚实的,肥沃的,富裕的
Useful Phrases实用短语
①a fat chance(of sth./doing sth.)不大可能发生
'They might let us in without checking the ticket. ''Fat chance of that! '
“他们也许会让我们免票入场。”“别痴心妄想了!”
②fat cat指那些很有钱、很成功的人。
I hate to see fat cats showing off their money, but I would sure love to be one myself.
我不喜欢那些有钱人炫耀他们的钱,可是我自己也确实很想成为一个有钱人。
③chew the fat闲聊,聊天,侃大山
If you stand while you chew the fat on the phone, you'll burn a few extra calories per minute.
你要是站着在电话里聊天,每分钟都能消耗掉一些卡路里的额外热量。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Everyday her boyfriend will call her and then they usually chew the fat for one or two hours.
每天她的男朋友都要给她打电话然后他们通常要聊上一两个小时。
B:I can understand them. After all they only can see each other once a month.
我能理解他们。毕竟他们一个月才能见一次。
A:But I still can't understand them. If I were them I must do not know what I should say for such a long time.
但我还是不理解他们。如果我是他们我一定不知道在这么长的时间里要说点什么。
B:When you're in love, you won't say like that.
当你恋爱时,你就不会这么说了。
feel感觉,触摸,认为,产生某种感觉
Useful Phrases实用短语
①feel one's age感觉到自己上了年纪
Mom has felt her age recently when she saw her granddaughter.
每当妈妈看到自己的孙女时,感觉到自己上了年纪。
②feel one's ear burning觉得耳朵在发烧
I feel my ear burning. There must be someone speaking bad of me.
我感觉到耳朵在发烧,一定有人在说我坏话。
③get the feel of sth./of doing sth.开始熟悉,开始熟悉做……
I haven't got the feel of the brakes in this car yet.
我还没有掌握好这个车的刹车性能。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:There must be someone speaking bad of me. I feel my ear burning.
一定有人在说我坏话。我感觉耳朵在发热。
B:Come on! Don't be superstitious, OK
得了吧。不要迷信了好吗?
A:Do you know it's very efficacious every time
你知道吗每次可是很灵验的?
B:My God, give me a break.
我的天啊,饶了我吧。
Notes:
1. superstitious [su:p?'sti∫?s] adj. 迷信的,有迷信观念的
2. efficacious [,efi'kei∫?s]adj. 有效的,奏效的,灵验的
feet脚
Useful Phrases实用短语
①to stand on one's two feet独立。
His father said to him that some might try to get him to smoke marihuana or drink, just to fit in with the crowd, but I hoped he could stand on his own feet and say no.
他爸爸对他说“有些人会为了让他合群劝他吸毒或喝酒,但他爸爸希望他能独立自主拒绝他们的诱惑”。
marijuana [maer?'wa:n?] n. 大麻,大麻毒品
②to throw oneself at someone's feet公开表示对某人的爱慕之情,拍马奉承、百般讨好某人
**** was so crazy about Jane that he threw himself at her feet.
迪克实在是爱简,他完全拜倒在她的石榴裙下。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:When Jack saw Mary at first sight, he fell in love with her.
当杰克第一次看见玛丽时就喜欢上她了。
B:He told me he had thrown himself at her feet. He wanted to marry her.
他说他完全拜倒在她的石榴裙下了。他想娶她。
A:So, had they married yet
所以他们已经结婚了?
B:Things didn't go as what they wanted. When they got along with each other, they found they were not as good as what they imagined at first.
事情并不是按他们所想的进展的。当他们彼此相处时,发现对方并不是他们起初想象的那么好。
field田野,场地,空地,矿区,领域
Useful Phrases实用短语
①leave the field clear for sb.为……的胜利铺平道路,为……的成功扫清障碍
To make him become a successful one, his parents have left the field clear for him.
为了让他成为一个成功的人,他的父母为他的成功铺平了道路。
②play the field性****,乱搞男女关系