书城外语日常286词玩转英语口语
31771100000033

第33章 N(2)

B:Your words touched her nerve of her just now. She looks a little sad now.

你刚刚的话触到她的痛处了。她看起来有点悲伤。

A:Oh, my God. I'm not on purpose. I hope Sally can forgive me.

哦,天哪。我不是故意的。希望萨利能原谅我。

new新的,新近的,不熟悉的,生疏的

Useful Phrases实用短语

①turn over a new leaf改恶从善,重新做人

When he was released from prison, he sweared to turn over a new leaf.

当他从监狱里被释放出来时,他发誓要重新做人。

②as good as new完好如新

When she returned my book, it was as good as new.

当她把书还给我时完好如新。

③What's new你好吗?怎么样?

Hello, what's new

哈喽,你好吗?

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Hello, John. Long time no see. What's new?

哈喽,约翰。好久不见。你好吗?

B:I really have a good news to tell you. Last week, my wife gave birth a boy for me.

我确实有个好消息要告诉你。上周,我妻子帮我生了个儿子。

A:Oh, really Congratuation to you. You must be very happy now.

哦,是吗?恭喜你啦。你现在一定很幸福吧。

B:Yes. You know I have longed for a baby for a long time.

是啊。你知道我一直都想要个小宝贝的。

nod点头,向……点头示意,打瞌睡

Useful Phrases实用短语

①have a nodding accquaintance with sb.与……有点头之交,对……略知一二

I just have a nodding aquaintance with that women.

我和那个女子只是点头之交。

②a nod as good as a wink一点就懂,(心有灵犀)一点通

She's a nod as good as a wink, so everything can be done smoothly.

她一点就懂,所以一切都可以顺利的完成。

③give sb./sth. the nod允许,对……表示同意

When I finished my speech, my tutor gave me the nod.

当我结束演讲时,我的导师表示赞同。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Can you help me to ask for the signature of that movie star?

你能帮我向那位影星要个签名吗?

B:I'm sorry I can't help you this time. I just have a nodding acquaintance with her.

对不起这次我帮不了你了。我和她只是点头之交。

A:That's all right. I thought you know her well.

没关系。我还以为你和她很熟悉呢。

B:She often came here with her friends, but I had never talked with her before.

她经常和朋友来这,但是之前我从未和她交谈过。

Notes:

signature ['sign?t∫?] n. 签名,书名,信号

nose鼻,鼻子

Useful Phrases实用短语

①blow the nose擤鼻涕

He caught such a bad cold that he had to blow his nose from time to time.

他的感冒这么重,只得不停地擤鼻涕。

②be no skin off one's nose事不关己

It's no skin off my nose if I lose this job, I can always get another one.

失掉这份工作也没关系,我随时都能再找到工作。

③follow one's nose一直走;凭直觉

It had been many years since my last visit, but I found the house by following my nose.

我上次去已是多年以前的事,但我还是凭直觉找到了那所房子。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:I can't endure her indifference towards this accident, although it's no skin off her nose.

我受不了她对这次事故的漠不关心,尽管这不关她的事。

B:Actually, I'm a little angry with her too. Anyhow, we regard her as our friend. How can she stand by at this moment.

事实上,我也很气她。不管怎样,我们把她当朋友看待。在这时刻她怎么能袖手旁观呢?

A:Maybe she never treated us as her friends.

许她从没把我们当朋友看待。

B:This time she really let me down.

这次她真的让我很失望。

Notes:

1. indifference [in'dif?r?ns] n. 漠不关心,冷淡,不重视,中立

2. regard...as…把……当……看待

nothing无事,无物,微不足道的事物

Useful Phrases实用短语

①nothing but只不过

He's nothing but a scoundrel.

他只不过是个无赖。

scoundrel无赖

②count for nothing不重要;毫无价值

All that extra effort counts for nothing now that they have cancelled the whole project.

他们既然已经取消了整个项目,所以,一切额外努力便毫无价值了.

③there is nothing (for) it…but…(除了做某事)别无办法

There is nothing we can do for it but to wait.

除了等待我们毫无办法。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:It's raining outside, we have to cancell our plan now.

外面下雨了,我们不得不取消计划了。

B:What a pity! So, what will we do next

真可惜啊!那么,我们接下来要做什么呢?

A:Do you like playing card Maybe we can call John to come here to play it?

你喜欢打牌吗?或许我们可以打电话让约翰来打牌?

B:There's nothing we can do but to play card.

只能这样了。

nut坚果,坚果仁

Useful Phrases实用短语

①a hard nut冥顽不化的人;无知无觉的人

Bob was really a hard nut.

鲍勃实在是个冥顽不化的人。

②do sb.'s nut暴跳如雷,气炸

If she found you cheated her, she would do her nut.

她如果知道你欺骗她的话她会气炸的。

③off sb.'s nut疯狂

He was off his nut when he heard that news.

当他听到那个消息时就发疯了。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Bob refused all his classmate's invitations.

鲍勃拒绝了班上所有人的邀请。

B:I really couldn't understand him.

他这个人我真不明白。

A:He's surely a hard nut, nobody likes approaching him.

他真是个脑子不开窍的人, 没人愿意靠近他。

B:We'd better also leave him alone.

我们最好也别惹他。

Notes:

approach [?'pr?ut∫] v. 靠近,着手处理