书城外语日常286词玩转英语口语
31771100000020

第20章 I(1)

ice冰,冰块

Useful Phrases实用短语

①break the ice打破隔阂,打头说话

Finally she broke the ice between them.

她最终打破了两人之间的僵局。

②on ice被搁置,留待考虑

They have had to put their plan on ice for the time being.

他们不得不把计划暂时搁置。

③cut no ice (with sb.)(对某人)无影响

His talk cut no ice with me.

他的谈话对我不起作用。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:I don't know why I always have quarrels with my husband. After quarreling we usually don't talk with each other for a week.

我不知道为什么最近总是和我老公吵架。吵完后我们通常冷战一星期。

B:So, who will break the ice first

那么,都由谁先来打破僵局呢?

A:Usually it's my husband even if sometimes it's my fault.

通常都是我老公,即使有时是我的错。

B:Your huaband is really a good man.

你的丈夫真是个好男人。

idea想法,构思,主意

Useful Phrases实用短语

①put idea into sb.'s head使某人抱有空想

You shouldn't put idea into his head.

你不应该让他抱有空想的。

②have no idea丝毫不知道

What the professor is talking, I have no idea at all.

教授在讲什么,我丝毫不知道。

③have the right idea找到好的(或成功的)方法;找对路

She has had the right idea to solve that problem.

她已经找到好的方法去解决那个问题了。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Since you can't married him you shouldn't put idea into his head.

既然你不可能嫁给他你就不该让他抱有希望。

B:I know it's unfair, but I can't break up with him. Actually I love him.

我知道这对他不公平,但是我不能和他分手。事实上,我爱他。

A:Do your parents agree with you to fall in love with him.

你的父母同意你们恋爱吗?

B:I still haven't told them.

我还没有告诉他们 。

Notes:

1. unfair不公平的,不公正的

2. fall in love with sb.爱上某人

ill有病,不舒服,坏的,不良的,有害的

Useful Phrases实用短语

①ill at ease局促不安的

I felt ill at ease in such formal occasion.

在这种正式的场合下我觉得局促不安。

②speak ill of sb.说……的坏话

You shouldn't speak ill of her behind her back.

你不应该在她背后说她坏话。

③it's an ill wind(that blows nobody any good)没有绝对的坏事,任何坏事都会有利于某些人

It's an ill wind, so don't make an conclude in hasty.

没有绝对的好坏事,所以不要草率下定论。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Jack, you look ill at ease. Tell me, what's up?

杰克,你看起来有点局促不安的,告诉我怎么啦?

B:I lost my wallet on the bus. You know there are many important cards inside it.

我在公交车上把钱包给丢了。你知道,那里面有很多重要的卡啊。

A:You'd better contact with the conductor as soon as possible.

你最好是尽快和售票员取得联系。

B:I had dailed to them, but they told me they didn't find anything.

我已经打电话给他们了,他们没说什么也没找到。

Notes:

1. contact with与接触,与联系

2. conductor [k?n'd?kt?] n. 售票员

in在某一点,在……里,在……中

Useful Phrases实用短语

①be/get in on sth.参与,了解

I don't want to get in on your plan.

我不想参与到你们的计划中去。

②in and out时常出入

He has been in and out her family in the past twenty years.

在过去的20年里他是她家的常客。

③the ins and outs (of sth.)(尤指复杂或难的)全部细节,详情

He still hasn't got the in and out of this dispute.

他仍然未能了解纠纷的来龙去脉。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Do you know the man in red T-shirt

你认识那边穿红色T恤的男人吗?

B:Oh, are you refering to the man who is talking with Jane

哦,你指的是正在和简谈话的那个吗?

A:Yes, I just can't understand why he can often in and out Jane's home.

是啊,我就是想知道为什么他可以经常进出简家里呢?

B:He will be Jane's stepfather, and he treats Jane as his own daughter.

他就要成为简的继父了,而且他对简就像对自己女儿一样。

Notes:

1. refer to指的是,涉及,参考,适用于

2. stepfather ['stepfa:δ?] n. 继父

3. treat…as…把某人像……一样对待

inch英寸,少量,短距离

Useful Phrases实用短语

①give sb. an inch得寸进尺

Give him an inch and he"ll take a mile.

得寸进尺。(俚语)

②not give/move an inch寸步不让

I tried to negotiate an even lower price but they wouldn't give an inch.

我试图把价谈低些但他们寸步不让。

③within an inch of sth./of doing sth.差一点,险些

He was beaten within an inch of his life.

他被打得奄奄一息。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:If you still don't give me an inch, I won't buy it. There are so many stores cheaper than you.

如果你仍寸步不让的话,我就不买了,许多家店比你们便宜的。

B:Ok, how many do you want

好的,你想买多少?

A:Three.

三个。

B:OK. Here is the change.

好的。这是找您的零钱。

Notes:

change零钱,找回的零钱,改变,变化

instance例子,事例,实例

Useful Phrases实用短语

①for instance例如

How do you think of the man for instance who speaks loudly on the bus.

你是怎样认为的,比如一个人在公交车上大声说话?

②in the first instance第一,首先

In the first instance, call the ambulance, and then give the injuried a first aid.

首先,打电话叫救护车,然后给伤者进行急救。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:In the first instance, you must put your study at the first place.

首先,你要把学习放在第一位。

B:Come on. You just look like my mom.

拜托。你就像我老妈一样。