书城外语日常286词玩转英语口语
31771100000026

第26章 L(1)

land

陆地,国土,国家,地带,土地,田地,

地产

Useful Phrases实用短语

①land in sth.使陷入(困境)

Her short temper landed her in trouble.

她的坏脾气使她陷入了麻烦。

②see how the land lies弄清情况,看清形式

Before you take action, you'd better see how the land lies.

在你采取行动前最好先弄清情况。

③land sb. with sth./sb.把(苦差事)推给(某人);主动承担(苦差事)

She is just that kind of girl who always lands herself with all the troublesome things.

她就是那样的女孩总是把所有的麻烦事情揽到自己这来。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:You shouldn't land yourself with all the trouble. It's my fault, so I must take the responsibility.

你不应该把所有麻烦都揽到自己身上来的。那是我的错,所以我应该承担责任。

B:I’m your wife and we should overcome it together.

我是你的妻子,我们应该共同克服困难。

A:But as a man, I don't want my wife to get any hurt. I have promised to the God.

但是作为男人,我不想我的妻子受到任何伤害。我向上帝发过誓。

B:If you're unhappy, I wouldn't either.

如果你不开心,我也不会开心的。

Notes:

1. take the responsibility承担责任

2. overcome [,?uv?k?m] v. 克服,胜过

last

最后(或剩下)的;最近的,上一个的,可能性极小的

Useful Phrases实用短语

①the last to be chosen最后挑选的一个

She's usually the last to be chosen.

她通常都是最后一个被挑选到的。

②at last最后,终于

She waited her mom for a long time, and at last her mom came back.

她等了妈妈很长时间最终她妈妈还是回来了。

③have the last laugh笑到最后

Wish you can have the last laugh.

希望你能笑到最后。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:We won the game at last.

最终我们赢得了那场比赛。

B:That's great! Congratulations to you.

太好了!恭喜你们。

A:Thank you! And we'll have a glee feast this evening, would like to you come?

谢谢。今晚我们有个庆功宴,你能来吗?

B:Of course, I'd love to. By the way, when and where?

当然,我很乐意。顺便问一下,几时?在哪?

A:It's at seven o'clock in the school hall.

七点在学校礼堂。

Notes:

glee feast庆功宴

laugh笑,笑声

Useful Phrases实用短语

①laugh at因……而笑,嘲笑

Never laugh at others when they get into trouble, or you will be the next one.

永远也不要嘲笑那些陷入困境的人,否则你也许就是下一个。

②laugh off用笑摆脱,对……一笑了之

He never minds what the others'saying and often laughs it off.

他从不介意别人说什么并常常对此一笑了之。

③laugh in sb.'s face当面嘲笑,公然藐视

How dare you laugh in my face?

你怎么敢公然藐视我?

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Because she is poor, she's often afraid of her classmates laughing at her.

因为她很穷,所以经常害怕同学会嘲笑她。

B:We can't choose our family. I think she's lack of confidence.

我们不能选择出身。我认为她缺乏自信。

A:Actually, I'm the same to her. I'm also worried about being ridiculed by others.

事实上,我和他一样,也担心被别人嘲笑。

B:As we all know, attitude is everything. So you'd better change this idea.

众所周知,态度决定一切。所以你做好改变这一观念。

Notes:

1. ridicule['ridikju:l] v,n. 嘲笑,嘲弄,愚弄

2. Attitude is everything态度决定一切。

law法律,法规,法,法学

Useful Phrases实用短语

①the law of the jungle丛林法则,弱肉强食

In today's society, you must learn to adapt yourself to the law of the jungle.

在当今的社会,你必须学会适应弱肉强食。

②there's no law against(对付批评自己的人)谁也管不着

I'll do whatever I like. There's no law against me.

我想做什么就做什么,谁也管不着。

③be a law onto yourself自行其是,我行我素

Don'taways be a law onto yourself OK Otherwise, many friends will keep away from you.

不要总是我行我素好不好?如果那样很多朋友都会远离你的。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:I must buy this cellphone. There’s no law against me.

我必须买这个手机,谁也管不着。

B:We just give you some advice.

我们只是给你建议而已。

A:Oh, I'm terrible sorry. I was a little out of all reason just now. Can you forget it?

哦,真对不起。我刚刚有点不可理喻了。你能忘了它吗?

B:Never mind. Since we're the best friends to each other, I still have to remind you the function of this type isn't as good as you imagined.

没关系。既然我们是最好的朋友,我仍要提醒你一下,这款手机的功能没你想象的好。

lay

置放,铺,砌,下(卵),产(蛋),设置,提出

Useful Phrases实用短语

①lay aside把……搁置一旁,存留,储存

Please lay these food aside before we send them to the disaster area.

请在我们把这些食品运往灾区前先存储起来。

②lay the table摆好餐桌

I have laid the tables, as soon as she comes back.

我已经摆好桌子了,她一回来,我们就吃饭。

③lay off(暂时)解雇,停止做

He was laid off.

他下岗了。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Everyday when I arrive at home, my mom has laid the table.

每天回到家我妈妈都把餐桌摆好了。

B:You're so happy. But I'm not so lucky like you.

你真幸福。但是我就没那么幸运了。

A:While you're more independent than me. You can cook for yourself, but I still don't know how to cook.

然而你比我独立多了。你会为自己煮饭,但是我却仍不会做饭呢。

B:Franklly speaking, it's not bad for me. At least I can cook well now.

说实话,这对我并不坏。至少我现在会做一手好菜了。

Notes:

be bad for sb.对某人来说有坏处

lead

领导,率领,通往,导向,致使,影响,度过(或经历),生活

Useful Phrases实用短语

①lead off开始

After this suffering, she decided to lead off a new life.

这次遭遇之后,她决定重新开始新的生活。

②lead sb. by the nose牵着某人的鼻子走,完全操纵(或控制)

某人

She leads her husband by the nose.

她牵着丈夫的鼻子走。

③lead nowhere毫无结果

The reaserch leads nowhere.

这项调查毫无结果。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Do you want to be leaded the nose by your wife If I were you, I couldn't bear her even one day.

你想被你的妻子牵着鼻子走吗?如果我是你,我一天也忍受不了她。

B:You know no one want to live like that, but I have no choice.

你知道没人想那样生活,但是我别无选择。

A:Why don't you persuade her to change her behaviour.

你为什么不劝她改一下她的行为呢?

B:I have tried many times, but she's still unwilling to listen to me.

我已经试过多次了,但是她仍是不听我的。

Notes:

be (un) willing to do sth.(不)愿意干……

length长,长度,一段,一节

Useful Phrases实用短语

①at length长时间,详尽地

He retold the accident at length.

他详尽地重述了那场事故。

②the length and breadth of处,处处,各地

He has travelled the length and breadth of this country.

他已经游遍了这个国家的每一个角落。

③keep somebody at arm's length敬而远之;疏远

Everyone keeps him at arm's length.

每个人都对他敬而远之。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:I have a feeling that Lily is not so close to Joe as she used to be.

我觉得莉莉对乔不像以前那么亲近了。

B:Yeah, when she heard about his background,she decided that she'd better keep him at arm's length.

是啊,她听说他的背景后,就决定疏远他了。

A:But Joe feels miserable.

可乔却觉得很痛苦。

Notes:

1. used to be过去是,曾经是

2. miserable['miz?r?bl] adj. 悲惨的,痛苦的,卑鄙的

let允许,让,假设,出租

Useful Phrases实用短语

①let down使失望,放下,降低

She doesn't want to let her parents down.

她不想让父母失望。

②let go (of)松手,放开

Don't let go of your hand please. I can't swim by myself.

请不要放手啊,我自己不会游泳。

③let off放过,宽恕,开(枪),放(炮、烟花等)

During the spring festival, we chinese people usually let off crakers.

春节期间,中国人通常都会放烟花。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:I don't want to let my parents down, but I really can't pass the colleage entrance examination. what should I do?

我不想让我爸妈失望,但是我真的通过不了高考。我该怎么办呢?

B:Take it easy. Do your best and I believe your parents will understand you.

别着急。尽你最大的的努力,我相信你爸妈会理解你的。