②be an open secret是公开的秘密
It's an open secret in the town that they fall in love with each other.
他们彼此相爱,这在镇上已是公开的秘密了。
③open door for sb.为……敞开大门,提供良机
The child's parents left her alone at home which opened door for the thief.
这个孩子的爸妈把她一个人留在家这就为小偷提供了良机。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Jane, what are you doing these days Have you got a suitable job now?
简,你最近在干什么啊?找到合适的工作了吗?
B:I have been busying in hunting a job all these days, but still can't find a job which is related to my major. I'm really depressed now.
这些天我一直都在忙着找工作,但是始终找不到和专业有关的。我现在真的很沮丧啊。
A:Come on, Jane. By the way, would you like to work with me?
加油,简。顺便问一下,你愿意和我一起工作吗?
B:Thank you, Sally. If I still can't get a job by the end of this month, I'll turn to you.
谢谢你,萨利。如果月底我还找不到,就去投奔你。
A:OK. I'll open a door for you all the time.
随时为你敞开大门。
Notes:
1. be related to与……相关
2. depressed [di'prest] adj. 沮丧的,萧条的
order次序,正常(工作)状态;命令,订购
Useful Phrases实用短语
①keep in order使遵守秩序;维持秩序
The bank can keep your money affairs in good order.
银行能使你的钱款账目有条不紊。
②in short order立即,马上
I'll be able to have it written in short order. So, don't worry! In fact, there's plenty of time for me to get things ready.
我马上就可以把发言稿写好。所以,别担心。事实上,我还有很多时间为这次会议做好准备。
③get one's walking orders(口)被解雇
Last week he got his walking orders.
上周他被解雇了。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Hello, this is Mary speaking, Can I speak to Jasmine?
喂,我是玛丽,我可以和茉莉通话吗?
B:Ah.. She's not in. But you can ring again in 5 minutes, she'll be back in short order.
呃……她现在不在家。你可以5分钟后再打来,她马上就会回来了。
A:I'm afraid I'll be busy later. Can you help me to send a message for her?
恐怕我等会会有点忙。你能帮我给她捎个口信吗?
B:Certainly. I'm very glad to.
当然,我很乐意。
A:Thank you.
谢谢。
B:With pleasure.
很荣幸。
over落下,倒下,翻转,穿过,剩下的,再,又
Useful Phrases实用短语
①over one's dead body竭尽全力来阻止一个计划
You mean you want to marry this man twice your age who's been divorced two times already You'll only do it over my dead body!
你是说你要和那个年纪比你大一倍,已经离过两次婚的男人结婚?你要想和他结婚,除非等我死了!
②Over one's head一个问题对某人来说太困难
I dropped out of class after two weeks-that kind of math is just too far over my head.
上了两个礼拜课以后我就退出了--那种数学对我来说实在是太难懂了。
③have it over比……好些;胜过
Her handwritting has it over me.
她的书法胜过我。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:It's pity that I haven't been to many countries.
真遗憾很多国家我都没去过。
B:But I think you have it over me. I've never been out of China.
但我想你总比我要好。我从来都没出过中国。
A:Never?
从来都没出去过?
B:Never. I am not joking.
从来都没有。我没有开玩笑。
own自己的,特有的,拥有,承认
Useful Phrases实用短语
①to stand on one's own two feet独立自主,依靠自己
Since I have grown up, I should stand on my own two feet instead of relying on my parents.
既然我已经长大了,就应该独立自主而不是依靠父母。
②blow one's own horn自吹自擂
Marilyn had to blow her own horn a bit during the job interview.
Marilyn在招聘面谈时不得不做了一点自我吹嘘。
③hold on one's own (against)坚持自己立场
No matter what the others said you must held on your own.
无乱别人说什么,你必须坚持自己的立场。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:I want to rent a house outside school this term, you know our dormitry is too noisy to fall asleep every night.
这学期我想在校外租房子,你知道我们宿舍太吵了以致每晚都睡不着。
B:Have you got the permission of the dorm supervisor And do your parents agree with you After all you’re a girl, it's a little unsafe for you to live outside school.
你获得宿舍管理员的批准了吗?还有你爸妈同意吗?毕竟你是个女孩子,独自一人在外住不安全。
A:It's real a big trouble to me. My father doesn't allow me to live alone. But I still hold on my own.
这确实是个大麻烦。我爸爸不允许我自己住。但是我还是坚持自己的主张。
B:To tell the truth, it also has some benefit for you. You'll become more independent than others, besides, you can have your own space.
说实话,这对你也有益处。你会比其他人更加独立,除此之外,你还会有自己的空间。
Notes:
1. dormitryn. 宿舍
2. supervisor ['sju:p?vaiz?] n. 监督人,管理人,检查员
out出来,不在,除掉,清除
Useful Phrases实用短语
①out of sorts闹脾气或身体有点不舒服
I feel a little out of sorts, so I am not going to work today.
我今天有点不舒服,不上班了。
②be out for/to do sth.试图得到(或做)
She is out to escape from this house.
他试图逃离这个房子。
③for crying out loud不耐烦地、或者是厌烦地表示惊讶
For crying out loud! Jack took my tennis racket again.
我的老天爷!杰克又把我的网球拍拿走了。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Lisa, what's wrong with you You look pale.
丽萨,你怎么了,脸色看起来很苍白。
B:I feel a little out of sorts.
我感觉有点不大舒服。
A:You'd better go to see the doctor.
你最好去看看医生。
B:But you know I have a lot of work to do, my boss won't permit me to be off.
但是我还有很多工作要做,老板不会同意我休息的。
A:Poor Lisa. You should know health is the most important than anything.
可怜的丽萨。你应该知道健康比任何东西都重要。