pain痛苦,疼痛
Useful Phrases实用短语
①pain in the neck某人很讨厌
I don't want to be a pain in the neck, son, but I've reminded you a dozen times already to clean up your room.
儿子,我并不想让你讨厌,但是我已经提醒你几十次了,要你把房间整理干净。
②spare no pains全力以赴
Whenever you want me to give you a hand I'll spare no pains.
无论你何时想让我帮你我都会全力以赴的。
③take pains费尽力气
He has taken pains to find his missing dog.
他已经费尽力气去寻找他失踪的狗。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Hi, Tom. How are you getting on these days
嗨,汤姆。你最近怎样啊?
B:I think I have spared no pains to my work, but my boss is still unsatisfied. I nearly can't breathe under this stress.
我认为我应经对工作全力以赴了,但是老板仍不满意。我被压得几乎无法呼吸了。
A:Take it easy. You look so tired, and if you still keep on working, you'll break down sooner or later.
别着急。你看起来很疲惫,如果继续工作的话,你迟早会垮掉的。
B:Yes, maybe I should give myself a holiday.
是啊,或许我该给自己放一个假了。
Notes:
1. unsatisfied ['?n'saetisfaid] adj. 不能满意的
2. breathe [bri: δ] v. 呼吸,使喘息
pass通过,审查通过,经过,变化,终止
Useful Phrases实用短语
①pass out醉到了
He passed out after three glasses of beers.
喝了三杯啤酒后他就醉倒了。
②get a pass及格
David didn't get a pass in the final examination.
大卫没有通过期末考试。
③pass away度过,终止,死亡
The president of the country passed away last month.
这个国家的总统上个月去世了。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:What did you do last night
你昨晚干嘛了啊?
B:I went to the pub with a friend. We hadn't seen each other for several years, so we drunk a lot of wine.
我和朋友去酒吧了。我们已经几年没有见面了,所以喝了许多酒。
A:How much did you drink
你喝了多少啊?
B:I can't remember it quite now. We ordered two dozens of beers, but my friend passed out after several bottles. So I drunk out all the left.
我现在记的不太清楚了。我们点了两打啤酒,但是我朋友几瓶之后就醉倒了。所以我把剩下的都喝光了。
A:Oh, my God! I just can't believe it.
哦,天哪。我简直不敢相信。
pay支付,交纳,给与,合算,薪水,工资
Useful Phrases实用短语
①pay back偿还,报复
The bank asked her to pay back all the debt.
银行要求她偿还所有的债务。
②to pay through the nose付出的钱实在太多而感到心痛
My brother Bob borrowed the money to open his restaurant five years ago when the interest rate was so high, so he"s been paying through the nose ever since.
我哥哥在五年前借钱开他那个饭馆的时候正好利率非常高。所以,他从那时起就一直在大笔大笔地还债。
③pay for为……而付出代价
You must par for all these loses.
你必须为所有的损失付出代价。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Did you hear that Jane's father was charged by the bank?
你听说简的爸爸被银行控告了吗?
B:Oh, my God. I've never heard about it. So, why
哦,我的天。我从没听说过这事。那么,为什么呢?
A:Her father was cheated by a man, and the man ran away with a lot of money which was gotten from Jane's father. Finally, her father's company couldn't run any longer. Last week, it declared to go bankrupt.
他爸爸被一个男人骗了,那人带着从简爸爸那得来的钱逃跑了。最后,她爸爸公司不能再运营下去了。上周,宣布了破产了。
B:So he father couldn't pay back all the debt to the bank
所以她爸爸无法偿还银行的所有债务了?
A:Yes. They had urged him for many times but still without any response. They had no choice but to charge him.
是的。他们已经催了他好多次了但是仍没有回应。没办法,银行只得把他告上法庭了。
Notes:
1. run away逃跑
2. go bankrupt破产,倒闭
pick挑剔,挖,采摘,挑选
Useful Phrases实用短语
①pick up the bits收拾残局
It's Tom's mother again who is picking up the bits.
又是汤姆的妈妈在收拾残局了。
②pick one's brain向别人了解情况,或是征求精通某个问题的专家的意见
I don't understand all this scientific language. I'd better go see Doctor Rogers at the medical school and pick his brain.
我是不懂这些科学名词。还是到医学院去请教罗杰斯大夫吧。
③pick holes in挑剔
Her stepmother often picks holes in her housework when she's at home.
当她在家时她继母总是挑她做家务的毛病。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Seeing what you have done this time. How can you do such an immoral thing I'm competely disappointed to you.
看看你这次都干了些什么。你怎么能干出这么不道德的事情呢?我已经彻底对你失望了。
B:Sorry, mom. I have recognised my fault. Can you help me one more time If you don't help me, they won't let me off.
对不起,妈妈。我已经认识到错了。你能再帮我一次吗如果你不帮我的话,他们不会放过我的。
A:I won't help you pick up the bits from this moment, I have spoiled you too much. You're an ***** now, so you'd better be responsible for what you have done.
从这一刻起我不会再帮你收拾残局了,我太过溺爱你了。你现在是个成年人了,所以你最好要对自己所做过的事情负责。
Notes:
1. immoral ['im?r?l]adj. 不道德的,邪恶的,****的
2. be responsible for对……负责
pull拉,拖,拔,搬开,驶进,驶出
Useful Phrases实用短语
①pull one's leg拉别人后腿,开别人玩笑
Hey, stop pulling my leg, will you! I don't believe that girl really said she likes me and would like me to take her out.
喂,你别逗我行不行!我才不信那个女孩真的说了她喜欢我,还要我邀她出去玩。
②pull down拉到,摧毁
The old house was pulled down by the government.
那个老房子被政府摧毁了。
③pull oneself together振作起来,冷静下来
Come on, pull yourself together, everything will be better.
好了,振作起来,一切都会好起来的。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Jack, I guess I can't run even one more inch. I don't want to pull your legs, so just leave me alone. Go ahead, I believe you will succeed at last.
杰克,我想我一步也跑不了了。我不想拖你的后腿,所以就别管我了。继续向前,我相信你最后会成功的。
B:Come on Jasmine. You know I won't leave you behind.