书城外语日常286词玩转英语口语
31771100000040

第40章 R(2)

娟:哈喽,萨拉,我要去超市买点食品。你想和我一块去吗?

Sarah:

Sorry, I was come back yet, guess who I ran into supermarket just now.

萨拉:不好意思啊,我已经回来了,猜猜我刚刚在超市碰到谁了。

Juan:En , let me see. Your ex-boyfriend

娟:呃,让我想想,你的前男友?

rest休息,停止,睡眠

Useful Phrases实用短语

①take/have a rest休息

We're all so tired, let's have a rest, shall we

我们都很累了,歇息一下好吗?

②rest with取决于,由……负责

This decision rests with you.

决定在你。

③rest on/upon sb./sth.依靠,依赖

Don't always rest on others as soon as you meet some trouble.

不要一遇见麻烦就总想着依赖别人。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Jack, we have walked so long time, don't you feel a little tired

杰克,我们已经走了很久了,你不觉得有点累吗?

B:Well, I'm a little hungry. So, let's have a rest, shall we

哦,我有点饿了,那么,我们休息一下怎样?

A:Great! Do you want some bread?

太好了!你想要些面包吗?

B:OK, thank you.

好的,谢谢。

ride骑马(或自行车),乘(车),漂浮,航行

Useful Phrases实用短语

①ride roughshod over对……为所欲为

He rides roughshod over his subordinates.

他肆意欺凌属下。

subordinate [s?'b ?:dineit] n. 下属,下级,部属,属下

②ride on sth.依赖于,依靠

Her whole future is riding on this interview.

她的未来全靠这次面试了。

③take sb. for a ride欺骗,愚弄

All of us were taken for a ride by her.

我们所有人都被她骗了。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Do you know what John has been busy doing these days I heard he always the first one to come and the last one to leave.

你知道约翰这些天都在忙些什么吗?我听说他总是第一个来最后一个走。

B:He's busy on a project, and his promotion is riding on it.

他在忙一个项目,他的升职就指望它了。

A:No wonder he has worked so hard these days.

难怪他最近那么努力工作了。

ring环,圈,戒指,(钟,铃)响,敲钟,响起

Useful Phrases实用短语

①give sb. a ring给某人答电话

Please rememmber to give your mother a ring tonight.

请记得今晚给你母亲打个电话。

②ring a bell听起来耳熟

This song rings a bell but I don’t know it's name.

这首歌听起来耳熟,但我又不知道它的名字。

③to throw one's hat in the ring指某人决定参加竞选

People at first thought that the Governor of New York would throw his hat in the ring.

人们开始都以为纽约州州长科莫会参加竞选。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Hello! This is Mary speaking. Can I speak to Jasmine?

喂!我是玛丽,可以和茉莉说话吗?

B:Sorry, she's out at this moment. Can I take a massage for you?

抱歉,她现在不在我可以为你捎个口信吗?

A:Thank you. Please tell her to give me a ring when she comes back.

谢谢。请告诉她回来时给我来个电话。

B:No problem.

没问题。

roll卷,卷状物,面包圈,名册,名录,滚动

Useful Phrases实用短语

①call the roll点名

Everyday before we starting our class, the class tutor will call the roll first.

每天开课前,班主任都要先点下名。

②roll up卷起(袖子或裤管),到达,出现,逐渐增加

He rolled up his sleeves quickly to help the old woman move the stone away.

他迅速地卷起袖子去帮那个老人把石头搬开。

③roll in滚滚而来,蜂拥而来

The enemies were rolling in from the feet of the hill.

敌人从山脚蜂拥而来。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Jasmine, can you help me to wash these dishes after dinner?

茉莉,晚饭后能帮我洗一下盘子吗?

B:All right, mom. I'm very glad to do it.

好的,妈妈。我很乐意。

A:Thank you, Jasmine. But don't forget to roll up your sleeves in case your shirt gets dirt.

谢谢,茉莉。但是记着把袖口卷起来防止你的衬衫被弄脏了。

B:Yes, I will, mom.

是的,我会的,妈妈。

Notes:

in case假使,以防(万一)

rule规则,条例,规律,习惯,统治,管辖

Useful Phrases实用短语

①by rule按惯例,按照规则

By rule you must get the permission of her parents and then you can engage with her.

按规矩你得先得到她父母的同意才能和她订婚。

②rule sb./sth. out把……排除在外,认为……不合适

She"s still doesen't know why all her friends rule her boyfriend out.

她始终不知道为什么她的朋友都认为她的男朋友不适合她。

③rule sb. out of sth.声明某人不能参赛,阻止某人参赛

David has been ruled out of tommorow’s competion.

大卫已经无缘明天的竞赛了。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:I don't know why do you always rule her out when we have some activities

我不明白为什么我们每次有活动时你总是把她排除在外呢?

B:I can't bear her character at all. She's too slow to do everything. You know I won't let anyone pull our legs.

我一点都受不了她的性格。她做任何事情都太慢了。你知道我不会让任何人拖我们的后腿的。

A:I don't agree with you. Since we're a collective, we shouldn't leave behind anyone in it.

我不同意你说的。既然我们是一个集体,我们就不应该丢下任何人。

Notes:

1. pull one's legs拖某人的后腿

2. collectiven. 集体