书城外语日常286词玩转英语口语
31771100000041

第41章 S(1)

safe保险的,安全的,小心谨慎的

Useful Phrases实用短语

①on the safe side以防万一,力求保险

You'd better take some money with you on the safe side.

保险起见,你最好带点钱。

②safe from没有……危险

Take it easy! Our company has been safe from the finacial crisis.

别着急!我们的公司已经躲过了这次金融危机。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:How about the old man in yesterday's traffic accident

昨天交通事故中的那个老人怎么样了?

B:The doctor said that he had been safe from dying this morning. And all his families are taking care of him now.

医生说他今早已经摆脱生命危险了。现在他的家人都在照顾着他。

A:Oh, thank God.

哦,谢天谢地。

sail航行,轻快地走,轻易地取得成功

Useful Phrases实用短语

①in full sail全力以赴

Whenever you ask me do anything, I'll do it in full sail.

不管什么时候你叫我做什么我都会全力以赴。

②sail about逛来逛去

If you observe carefully, you'll often find him sail about on the street.

如果你仔细观察就会经常发现他在街上逛来逛去。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:If you regard me as your best friend, you should ask me for some help. As long as I can do you a favour, I must be in full sail.

如果你把我当成你最好的朋友的话,你应该向我寻求帮忙的。只要我能帮上你的,我一定会全力以赴。

B:Thank you buddy. You're such a kind person.

谢谢伙计。你真是个好人。

Notes:

buddy ['b?di] n. 伙计,好朋友

sake缘故

Useful Phrases实用短语

①for the sake of为了……的利益或好处,为了……起见,看在……的份上

For the sake of your father, I won't charge you.

看在你父亲的份上,我就不起诉你了。

②for any sake无论如何

For any sake you shouldn't cheated your parents.

无论如何你都不应该欺骗你的父母。

③for God's sake看在上帝的份上

For God's sake, please give me one more chance.

看在上帝的份上,请在给我一次机会吧。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Sally, when will you get off work everyday?

萨利,你每天几点下班啊?

B:Recently, it's a little late. Usually at 7. pm.

最近有点晚。通常在晚上七点。

A:It has been dark at 7. pm. So, for the sake of your safe, I'll drive to take you home everyday.

七点天已经黑了。所以,为了你的安全起见,我每天都要开车来接你。

Notes:

get off work下班

save拯救,保全,省去,存储,保留

Useful Phrases实用短语

①to save one's skin安全地逃出了危险的境地,没有受到伤害

Because he was wearing his seat belt and that saved his skin, he walked away without a scratch.

因为他带着安全带,所以他一点都没有受伤。

②save one's life拯救某人的命

To save the little girl's life, she sacrificed her young life.

为了就那个小女孩,她牺牲了自己年轻的生命。

③save on节省,节约

Never forget to save on water.

永远不要忘记节约用水。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Who was the last one to leave the bathroom?

谁昨天最后一个离开洗澡间的?

B:It's me, mom. What's the matter?

是我,妈妈。怎么了?

A:Oh, Jack. I have told you so many times that don't forget to turn off the tap after washing. You should develop the habit of saving on water.

哦,杰克。我已经告诉你多少次了洗完澡后不要忘了关水龙头。你应该养成节约用水的习惯。

B:I"m terrible sorry, mom. I'll keep it in mind.

非常抱歉,妈妈。我会记住的。

Notes:

1. turn off关掉,关闭

2. develop the habit of养成……的习惯

say说,讲,假定

Useful Phrases实用短语

①never say die别灰心,别气馁

Never say die. We all trust you'll be successful.

别灰心。我们都相信你会成功的。

②say for oneself为自己辩解

In court, the man tried his best to say for himself.

在法庭上,那个男人极力为自己辩解。

③that is to say换句话说

That is to say you don't know him at all.

也就是说你根本就不认识他。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Come on, Jane. Since you're innocent you should say for yourself.

振作起来,简。既然你是无辜的你就要为自己辩护。

B:But no matter what I say, no one will believe it.

但是无论我说什么,没有人会相信的。

A:If you can give them some evidence, everything will be OK. Trust yourself, you should know nobody can help you except yourself.

如果你能给他们一些证据,一切都会好的。相信自己,你要知道除了你自己没人帮得了你了。

sea海,海水,海洋

Useful Phrases实用短语

①at sea在海上,茫然,迷惑

Recenty, Mary has been always at sea during classes.

最近,玛丽总是在课上显得很迷惑。

②go to sea当水手

As a child,his dream was going to sea.

孩提时,他的梦想是去当水手。

③on the sea在海边,在海滨,出海

The old man has been on the sea for three monthes,no one knows whether he could come back.

那个老人已经出海三个月了,没有人知道他是否还会回来。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Poor woman, her husband has been on the sea for three months, but she doesn't have any news about him.

可怜的女人,她的丈夫已经出海三个月了,但她却没有他的任何消息。

B:Does she have any child?

她有孩子吗?

A:No, she doesn't have. She has no relatives but her husband. And they live on fishing.

不,她没有。除了她丈夫她没有任何亲人。他们靠捕鱼为生。

B:Oh, may God bless her husband can come back as soon so possible.

哦,上帝保佑她的丈夫能早日回来。

Notes:

live on靠……为生,以……为食

see看见,了解,领会,会见

Useful Phrases实用短语

①see sb. off为某人送行

Can you help me to see my brother off at the airport tommorow.

你明天能帮我去机场为我哥哥送行吗?

②see through sb./sth.识破,看穿

How did you see through her conspiracy?

你是怎样识破她的阴谋的?

conspiracy [k?n'spir?si] n. 阴谋,操作,共谋

③see about处理,安排

How will you see about that trouble

你要怎么处理那个麻烦?

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:I'll leave for NewYork tomorrow afternoon, can you see me off at the airport?

明天下午我就要去纽约了,你能到机场为我送行吗?

B:Certainly. I won't see you for a long time, please don't forget to keep in touch with me.

当然。我就要好长一段时间见不到你了,请不要忘记要和我联系啊。

A:OK, I'll.

好的,我会的。

Notes:

keep in touch with sb.与某人保持联系

sell销售,经营,被卖光

Useful Phrases实用短语

①sell out卖光

This size of MP5 is very hot, and now it has been sold out.

这种型号的MP5非常抢手,现在已经卖光了。

②sell at(某个价格)出售

Needing money, he had to sold his car at the price of 20, 000元.

由于需要钱,他不得不以2万块钱卖了车。

③sell sb. down the river出卖,背叛

He sold his best friend down the river 10 years ago.

10年前他出卖了自己最好的朋友。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Can I help you, Miss

小姐,需要帮忙吗?

B:Yes, I want to buy the novel of Gone with the Wind. Can you show me where is it?

是的,我想买小说“飘”。你能告诉我它在哪吗?

A:I'm sorry, Miss, it has been sold out now. You can come here next week.

对不起小姐,那个现在已经卖完了。你可以下周来。

B:OK, thank you.

好的,谢谢。

sense

官能,感觉,辨识,领悟,意思,意识,判断

Useful Phrases实用短语

①in a sense从某种意义上说

In a sense, Tom is right.

从某种意义上说,汤姆是对的。

②make sense of理解,懂,明白

I can't make sense of that poet.

我读不懂那首诗。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Sorry, sir. I didn't make sense of what you said just now. Can you explain it to me again?

对不起,先生。我刚刚没弄懂您说的话,能在给我解释一遍吗?

B:All right. But listen carefully, I won't repeat it next time.

好的。但是仔细听好了,下次我不会再重复了。

A:Thank you sir.

谢谢先生。

serve服务,为……效劳,接待

Useful Phrases实用短语

①serve for充当

Since we're both single,can you serve for my girlfriend on this special day?

既然我们都是单身,你能在这个特殊的日子充当我的女朋友吗?

②serve someone hand and foot服务周到

This restaurant serves it's guests hand and foot.

这家餐馆对顾客服务周到。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:That Japanese guest is complaining again.

那个日本客人又在抱怨了。