书城教材教辅新课标英语学习资源库-灰姑娘
44930100000013

第13章 Hans in Luck(3)

Hans stood still and looked at him, at last he spoke to him and said, “Alls well with you, as you are so merry with your grinding.”“Yes,”answered the scissorsgrinder, “the trade has a golden foundation. A real grindergrinder n.磨工, 尤指磨刀具的工人, 研磨者 is a man who as often as he puts his hand into his pocket finds gold in it. But where did you buy that fine goose?”

汉斯停下来在一旁瞧着,终于忍不住和人搭讪:“你真舒服,一边磨刀一边取乐。”“是的,”磨刀人回答,“这是门金不换的手艺。一个好磨刀人什么时候伸手进口袋,都可以掏出金子。可是,你在哪儿买到这么只漂亮的鹅呢?”

“I did not buy it, but exchanged my pig for it.”

“这鹅不是买的,是用我的猪崽换的。”

“And the pig?”

“那么猪崽呢?”

“That I got for a cow.”

“是我用一头母牛换来的。”

“And the cow?”

“那么母牛呢?”

“I took that instead of a horse.”

“是我用一匹马换来的。”

“And the horse?”

“那么马呢?”

“For that I gave a lump of gold as big as my head.”

“换这马我用一块金子,这金子跟我的头一般大。”

“And the gold?”

“那么金子呢?”

“Well, that was my wages for seven years, service.”

“唉,它是我干七年活儿的报酬。”

“You have known how to look after yourself each time.” said the grinder, “If you can only get on so far as to hear the money jinglejingle n.叮当声 in your pocket whenever you stand upstand up v.站起来, 竖立, 站得住脚, 坚持, 经得起, 拥护, 抵抗, you will have made your fortune.”

“你真是永远有办法,”磨刀人说,“你现在可以使自己一站起来钱就在口袋里叮铛响,从此好运不断。”

“How shall I manage that?”said Hans.

“我该怎样办呢?”汉斯问。

“You must be a grinder, as I am, nothing particular is wanted for it but a grindstonegrindstone n.旋转磨石, 旋转研磨机, the rest finds itself. I have one here, it is certainly a little worn, but you need not give me anything for it but your goose, will you do it?”

“你得像我一样当个磨刀人,为此只需要一块磨刀石,有了磨刀石别的就全有了。我这儿有一块,虽然缺了一点儿,你却不用拿任何东西跟我换,只把鹅给我得了,愿意吗?”

“How can you ask.”answered Hans. “I shall be the luckiest fellow on the earth. If I have money whenever I put my hand in my pocket, why should I ever worry again.”And he handed him the goose and received the grindstone in exchange. “Now,”said the grinder, as he took up an ordinary heavy stone that lay by him, “here is a strong stone for you into the bargain, you can hammerhammer v.锤击, 锤打 well upon it, and straighten your old nailsnail n.指甲, 钉, 钉子. Take it with you and keep it carefully.”

“还用问吗?”汉斯回答,“我会成为全世界最幸福的人,我什么时候伸手进口袋都有的是钱,还用发什么愁啊?”说着把鹅交给人家,接过磨刀石。“喏,”磨刀人从旁边的地上拾起一大块普通石头,说,“这儿再添给老兄一块大大的,它是个好砧,你可以在上边锤你的旧钉子喏,好好拿着!”

Hans loaded himself with the stones, and went on with a contented heart, his eyes shining with joy.“I must have been born with a caulcaul n.[解剖]胎膜, 大网膜,”he cried, “everything I want happens to me just as if I were a sundaychild.”Meanwhile, as he had been on his legs since daybreak, he began to feel tired. Hunger also tormentedtorment v.折磨 him, for in his joy at the bargain by which he got the cow he had eaten up all his store of food at once. At last he could only go on with great trouble, and was forced to stop every minute, the stones, too, weighed him down dreadfully. Then he could not help thinking how nice it would be if he had not to carry them just then. He crept like a snailsnail n.蜗牛, 迟钝的人 to a well in a field, and there he thought that he would rest and refresh himself with a cool draught of water, but in order that he might not injure the stones in sitting down, he laid them carefully by his side on the edge of the well. Then he sat down on it, and was to stoop and drink, when he made a slipslip n.滑倒, pushed against the stones, and both of them fell into the water. When Hans saw them with his own eyes sinking to the bottom, he jumped for joy, and then knelt down, and with tears in his eyes thanked God for having shown him this favor also, and delivered him in so good a way, and without his having any need to reproach himself, from those heavy stones which had been the only things that troubled him.“There is no man under the sun so fortunate as I.” he cried out. With a light heart and free from every burdenburden n.担子, 负担 he now ran on until he was with his mother at home.

汉斯扛起石头,心满意足的往前走,两眼高兴得只发着光。“我出生时一定带着胎膜,”他叫道,“要不怎么总是称心如意,像个幸运儿!”因为天一亮就上了路,这时候他已经开始感到疲倦,再加上他在换到牛后一高兴吃掉了全部的干粮,肚子又饿得难受,他只能咬紧牙往前走,走一会儿就歇一歇,而且那两块石头也压得他够受。这一来,汉斯到底忍不住想,如果现在不用再扛它们,有多好啊!慢慢地,像只蜗牛,他挪到了一口井边,想歇歇气,喝口凉水提提神,可为了不在坐下时摔坏石头,他小心翼翼地把它们搁在旁边的井沿上。石头放好后,他才坐下来,打算趴下去喝水。哪知他一不留神,稍微碰着一点点,两块石头扑通扑通都落到了井里,汉斯眼看着它们沉下去,突然高兴得跳了起来,随后他跪到地上,眼泪汪汪地感谢上帝,感谢他还赐给自己这样的恩典。让他以这么好的方式摆脱那两块完全成了累赘的沉重石头而一点不用自己责备自己。“在世界上没任何人像我运气这么好!”汉斯叫起来。这下子,他摆脱了一切负担,心情轻松地往前跑,一直跑回到母亲家里。