书城外语英语PARTY——交际口语排练室
45659300000010

第10章 情景短剧欣赏(3)

JOANA: And I don,t like to go to dinner parties.

我不喜欢参加宴会。

PAULO: Come on, Joana. You can,t say “no” to the Crawfords.

琼娜帮个忙, 你不能拒绝郭佛家人的邀请。

JOANA: My English is so bad, and they don,t speak Portuguese.

我的英文那么差, 而他们又不会说葡萄牙文。

PAULO: Your English is fine. And you have a good accent.

你的英文很好, 而且你的发音很标准。

JOANA: Do you really think so?

你真的这样认为吗?

PAULO: Yes, I do. And you can practice your English at the party.

是的, 我真的这样认为。 何况你参加宴会, 又可以练习说英文。

JOANA: You,re so confident.

你倒很有信心。

PAULO: Then you,re coming?

这么说, 你是要去了。

JOANA: No, Paulo. I don,t want to go.

不, 保罗, 我还是不想去。

PAULO: Please, Joana. Do it for me. For my career.

琼娜, 我求你, 就算是为我好了, 为了我的前途。

JOANA: Who,s that?

是谁啊?

PAULO: He,s here. Please, Joana, for me. The door,s open! Come in!

他来了, 求你,琼娜,你就为我去吧。

MICHAEL: Hi, Paulo.

嗨, 保罗。

PAULO: Hello, Michael. Do you know my sister, Joana?

嗨, 迈克尔。 你认不认识我妹妹琼娜?

MICHAEL: No, I don,t.

不认识。

PAULO: Joana, I want you to meet Michael Crawford. He,s driving us to his parents, party.

琼娜, 介绍一下, 这是迈克尔·郭佛。 他要载我们去参加他父母的宴会。

JOANA: How do you do?

你好。

MICHAEL: It,s a pleasure to meet you Joana.

琼娜, 很高兴认识。

PAULO: I,m ready, but Joana…

我已经准备好了, 但是琼娜她……

JOANA: Oh, Paulo. Just five more minutes. Sorry to keep you waiting.

噢, 保罗, 再五分钟就好了。 对不起, 让你等。

MICHAEL: Don,t apologize. I,m happy you,re coming.

不用道歉, 我很高兴你们来参加。

MR. CRAWFORD: Michael.

迈克尔。

MICHAEL: Yes, Dad.

爸爸, 什么事?

MR. CRAWFORD: We have to talk.

我们必须谈一谈。

MICHAEL: Oh? What about?

哦? 谈什么?

MR. CRAWFORD: The business, son.

谈有关公司的事。

MICHAEL: What about it?

公司怎么样?

MR. CRAWFORD: It,s growing. I want an assistant, and…

公司在扩大业务, 我需要一个助手, 而……

MICHAEL: And you want me.

而您需要我。

MR. CRAWFORD: Yes. I,m 57. Soon…

对, 我已经五十七岁了, 没多久……

MICHAEL: Dad. You know I,m an artist.

爸爸, 你知道我是个艺术家。

MR. CRAWFORD: I don,t understand.

我不了解。

MICHAEL: I know you don,t.

我知道你不了解。

MR. CRAWFORD: You,re 29. You,re intelligent.

你二十九岁, 又很有头脑。

MICHAEL: And I want to paint.

我要画画。

MR. CRAWFORD: That,s a hobby, not a career.

那是一种嗜好, 不是一种职业。

MICHAEL: What about Michelangelo or Picasso? Was it a hobby for them, too?

米开朗基罗跟毕加索呢? 画画对他们来讲也是一种嗜好吗?

MR. CRAWFORD: No. Of course not. But…

不是, 当然不是, 可是……

MICHAEL: But what? Maybe I,m not Picasso. But I have to try. Give me a year. One more year.

可是怎么样? 我固然不是毕加索, 可是我不能不试一试。 再给我一年的时间好了, 一年。

FRIEND: Don,t cry, Laura. You don,t have to work there.

劳拉你不要哭, 你不一定要在那里工作。

LAURA: But I need the money!

可是我不能喝西北风! (可是我需要钱呀!)

FRIEND: Why don,t you look for a new job?

你为什么不找一份新的工作?

LAURA: Where? How? I don,t know my way around New York. I feel lost.

到哪里找? 怎么找? 我对纽约不熟, 我感到茫然。

FRIEND: What,s wrong with the job, Laura? What don,t you like about it?

劳拉, 那份工作哪里不好? 你是哪一点不喜欢呢?

LAURA: My boss. I don,t understand him.

我的老板, 我不了解他。

FRIEND: What don,t you understand?

你哪一点不了解?

LAURA: I don,t think he,s human.

我觉得他不是人。

FRIEND: What do you mean?

我不懂?

LAURA: For him, business is everything. Business is his life.

对他来说, 生意就是一切, 生意就是他的生命。

FRIEND: Oh, Laura. He can,t be so bad.

噢, 劳拉, 他不可能那么差劲。

LAURA: Oh, yes he is. He,s a machine.

他的确那么差劲。 他像机器一样。

LAURA: No friendly words, no smiles, no little compliments. Nothing. Just business.

从来不说一声友善的话, 从来不微笑, 从来不称赞人家一下。 什么都没有, 就只有生意。

LAURA: He isn,t human.

他没有人性。

FRIEND: What about your work? You like it, don,t you?

你的工作怎么样? 你喜欢, 对不对?

LAURA: Yes, I do. And I know I,m a good secretary, but…

是的, 我喜欢。 而且我知道我是个好秘书, 可是……

FRIEND: But what?

可是怎么样?

LAURA: To him, I am nothing. A machine. A late machine. I am not a machine.

我在他的眼里一文不值, 是部机器。 一部过时的机器, 但我不是机器!

FRIEND: Why don,t you talk to him?

你为什么不和他说呢?

LAURA: Because he,s impossible. Leopards don,t change their spots. I have to look for a new job.

因为他不可理喻, 本性难移。 我必须找份新工作。

PAULO: What are you doing?

你在做什么?

JOANA: I,m writing a note to the Crawfords. I want to thank them for dinner.

我在写一封信给郭佛家人, 以感谢他们的晚餐招待。

PAULO: Why don,t you call them? Here people always use the phone.

为什么不打电话? 这里的人都是用电话的。